Field of work: Poetry, Prose, Essays
Ventseslav Konstantinov was born on September 14, 1940 in Sofia. He graduated in Germanic studies and philosophy and wrote a thesis on influences of German literary expressionism on the Bulgarian poetry between the wars. Since 1987 he has been teaching translation of German-language poetry at the University of Sofia. 1991–1992, Konstantinov was in Berlin as grantee of the Berliner Künstlerprogram (the Berlin Artistic Program) of the Deutsche Akademische Austaushdienst DAAD (the German Academic Exchange Service). He had lectures and conference participations in Berlin, Leipzig, Marburg, Vienna, Prague, Bern, Zurich and Lausanne. Konstantinov spent 1993–1994 at SUNY Geneseo, New York. He published poems and articles also made radio-contributions on German, Austrian, Swiss and Bulgarian literature. His book translations amount to 70 volumes. Ventseslav Konstantinov is the author of the books:
- 2007: Writers on the Work of Art, Sofia, LiK.
- 2010: The Dream Flute. Literary Studies, Sofia, Ciela.
- 2011: Gobelin, Embroidered with Devil Tails. Essays, Sofia, Ciela.
- 2012: The Secret Life of the Rain. Aphorisms, Sofia, Ciela.
- 2013: The Invisible Certain Things. Poetry, Sofia, Ab.
Ventseslav Konstantinov lives in Sofia and in the Rhodope Mountains village Solishta as a freelance writer and translator.
- Bertolt Brecht, Life of Galileo. Drama, 1964.
- Erich Maria Remarque, Heaven Has No Favorites. Novel, 1972.
- Friedrich Dürrenmatt, The Suspicion. Novel, 1972.
- Stefan Zweig, Chess Story, 1973.
- Max Frisch, Homo Faber. Novel, 1973.
- Bertolt Brecht, Calendar Tales. Poems and Stories, 1975.
- Max Frisch, Stiller. Novel, 1978.
- Max Frisch, Don Juan, or Love to Geometry. A Play, 1979.
- Bertolt Brecht, A Short Organum for the Theatre. Essay, 1985.
- Henrik Ibsen, The Master Builder. Drama, 1979.
- Elias Canetti, Wedding. Drama, 1980.
- Lion Feuchtwanger, The House on “Green Way”. Selected Stories, 1981.
- Franz Kafka, The Metamorphosis’. Selected Stories, 1982.
- Martin Walser, Runaway Horse. Selected Stories, 1982.
- Bertolt Brecht, The Trophies of Lucullus. Selected Stories, 1983.
- Christoph Meckel, Hotel for Sleepwalkers. Selected Poems, 1984.
- Max Frisch, Man in the Holocene. Story, 1984.
- Peter Hacks, Peace. A Play, 1985.
- Peter Hacks, The Beautiful Helene. A Play, 1986.
- Hermann Hesse, The Stolen Suitcase. Selected Stories, 1986.
- Kurt Tucholsky, Interview with Myself. Poems and Stories, 1986.
- Walter Benjamin, The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction. Essay, 1989.
- Heinrich Böll, The Dwarf and the Doll. Selected Stories, 1987.
- Alfred Andersch, Diana and the Flute-Player. Selected Stories, 1988.
- Katja Mann, My Unwritten Memoirs, 1989.
- Hans Magnus Enzensberger. The Sinking of “Titanic”. A Comedy, 1990.
- Friedrich Christian Delius, Mogadishu Window Seat. Novel, 1992.
- Erich Kästner, A Realistic Romance. Poetry and Prose, 2009.
- Franz Kafka, In the Penal Colony. Selected Stories, 2010.
- The Great German Poets from the 12th to the 20th Century. An Anthology, 2012.
- 1993: The Translation Prize of the Ministry for Education, Arts and Culture, Vienna.
- 2006: The Prize of the Bulgarian Translator’s Union for his entire work.
- 2013: The Literature Prize of Sofia for The Great German Poets from the 12th to the 20th Century. An Anthology.
Contact: e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org